Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Shades of green
You know what’s always fun? Nail polish. I’ve been collecting colours for years but only started consistently painting my nails a couple of months ago. At least I am well-stocked. Nail polish is a great way to subtly add to your look. A pop of colour to perk you up, or a subdued beige or gray for a simple and clean look. Either way, I find that you can make any colour work with almost any outfit.


I am currently wearing Fiercely Fiona from OPI’s Shrek collection (I’m a Disney princess at heart). It is literally ogre green. Why did I get it? It was on sale, I love Shrek, and it’s kind of so ugly it’s cute. Like a pug . Although my friend Emma would disagree, she reprimanded me for the comparison and told me, quite seriously, that pugs are cute, cute and not ugly, cute.


That being said, I find that wearing crazier colours works best with more basic clothing so there’s not too much colour crashing going on. A few other things I’ve learned?
- darker colours do not look good on my finger nails
- I’m not very good at applying my own nail polish
- the lighter colours, which I prefer for my hands, need a lot of coats to make it look like the bottle
- that you can’t touch anything, no matter how careful you are, for a long while after you paint your nails
- ANYTHING looks good on toe nails


This is probably all common knowledge to you, but like I said, I’m new at this. So, if you’ve been taking a nail painting sabbatical because of the winter months, you may want to think about getting back into the game. I find it’s a great way to keep me from picking at my cracking nails (which I blame on the lack of Vitamin D). It’s also a good way to hide my cracking nails from others.


A third bonus? It’ll lift your spirits out of the winter blues. There’s no time like the present to practice getting your tootsies prepped for sandal season.


Nicolina Leone

No comments:

Post a Comment