Thursday, March 10, 2011

These boots are made for walking.

So many winters, so many boots. The transformation of what is hip and hopping to be walking around in through the snow and slush has changed drastically over the past few years. Here’s what I’ve noticed:

- The UGG/EMU boot: It took me a while to jump on the bandwagon but once I jumped, I never looked back. I love them. They’re warm, you don’t need to wear socks, there’s a nice variety of neutral colours, and they are warm. Love them.

- The FUGG boot : It didn’t take long for the fake UGG to start popping up in everywhere from shoe stores to accessory stores to grocery stores. Some able to withstand the normal walk to the bus stop, some not so much. Those FUGGs were the ones you would see folding over and the wearer would be walking on the side of the boot. Not a good look.

- Sorel’s: Last winter all I heard about was Sorel’s. When or why the practical winter boot came back into style I know not. But it’s about time. The days of struggling with runners through the slush and cold have ebbed. I recently bought a houndstooth patterned pair with pink laces. Love them too.

- To the knee and over the knee: This winter was a more fashionable winter than I can ever recall. I am loving the loose fitting and the height of the boots that women are wearing this season (goes great with the peacoat). Heel or no heel, they are fabulous.

Now…

The riding boot. I noticed this boot first on Urban Outfitters.com and LOVED IT. It was different, cute, stylish, and could go with anything (in my mind at least). I had a feeling we’d start seeing more versions popping up around Ottawa. Then I noticed a similar pair in Zara, but with the buckle around the ankle. And then, in In Touch magazine, on Jessica Alba.nI look forward to seeing this glorious boot around our fair city for a long time.

Nicolina Leone



1 comment:

  1. Dear Hush,
    I have been following the Hush Blog for many months now and I don't normally comment on blogs as they are a form of freedom of speech. This one however, I wanted to comment on.

    Normally the Hush Blog is witty, fun and written with a sophistication that is quite enlightening to read. As a fashion blog, it seems to be up on the latest fashions, in Ottawa, which I love.

    This particular blog was disappointing. UG's have been out of style for a few seasons now and to bring them up as fashionable, as we enter Spring 2011, is a big faux pas. A story about rain boots, if we have to discuss boots at all, would have been a lot more "seasonally" appropriate.

    The writing itself had many errors and should have been spell checked before publishing.

    All this to say I'm hoping this was just a hiccup in the normally great Hush Blog. I will be looking forward to the next one which I do hope will have some valuable and current fashion information.

    Sincerely
    Hush Blog Fan

    ReplyDelete